As honeymoon travel specialists we are frequently asked “How can I stretch my honeymoon budget?” or “What can I afford under $2K?” The great news is that Hawaii is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in the world and offers many options for an affordable tropical vacation. In fact some of our favorite honeymoon packages in Hawaii start under $2K including airfare and accommodations at a 4 star resort!
Each island in Hawaii has a full range of resorts and condominiums from budget to luxury, but there are some tips and tricks to stretching your honeymoon dollar -
1. Travel when the kids are in school. Hawaii is a popular family vacation destination, so when kids go back to school, the prices go down! Traveling in May or September – mid December is a fantastic way to stretch your honeymoon budget and enjoy Hawaii when the weather is beautiful and the beaches less crowded.
2. Travel Monday through Thursday to save weekend airfare surcharges. This can save you more than $100.
3. Stay longer in one place! Seeing more than one Hawaiian island is appealing but many resorts and condos offer free nights with a longer stay and you’ll save airfare if you choose one island for your honeymoon.
4. Honeymoon in Honolulu. Oahu tends to be the least expensive island and Waikiki Beach, the Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and North Shore are just a few popular tourist spots. A car rental is not necessary in Honolulu since public transportation is readily and inexpensively available and restaurants, shopping and entertainment are all within walking distance of the many resorts located on or near the beach.
Talk about value! A honeymoon package at a 4 star resort such as the Outrigger Reef on the Beach starts under $2K for two people including airfare from the west coast to Hawaii and a 5 night stay. This resort is newly renovated, located right on world famous Waikiki Beach and close to everything! I stayed a few nights recently and fell in love with the resort and location all over again.
5. Rent a car on the outer islands. A car is an extravagance in Honolulu, but it’s a budget saver on the outer islands of Hawaii. Not only will you need transportation from the airport but you can drive yourself to popular sights and beaches and take advantage of less expensive dining away from the major resorts.
If Maui is your style, you will love the beautiful beaches, relaxed atmosphere and fantastic restaurants. The Sheraton Maui is one of several favorite resorts on Kaanapali Beach and is located at Black Rock which has the best off beach snorkeling in Hawaii! In Lahaina, about 10 minutes from the resort, you will find lots of restaurants, shopping and entertainment. Currently a honeymoon vacation package with airfare from the West Coast, accommodations and a rental car is under $2500.
The Big Island of Hawaii is known for Volcanoes, hiking, and sightseeing and a few great beaches. The Hapuna Prince is on one of the best and a 5 night package starts just over $2K for air, accommodations and rental car
6. Book a condo rather than a resort and save on restaurant expenses. Most condos in Hawaii have full kitchens and it’s particularly easy to save money by preparing breakfast, simple lunches, snacks and drinks. For dinnertime you may wish to find a affordable restaurant or throw some burgers on the BBQ. Your choice!
Kauai is known as the Garden Island with lush tropical foliage, waterfalls and canyons. You’ll find a wide array of condos and resorts located on or near the beach and vacation packages starting just over $2K per couple with airfare, accommodations and car rental. Two of my favorites are the Aston Poipu Kai and Sheraton.
7. Travel light. A bikini and flip flops won’t take much room so pack light and avoid baggage fees. Most airlines allow a 20-21 inch rolling bag and one personal item per person, which provides plenty of space for shorts, bathing suits and sunglasses and most couples will save more than $100.
8. Rent your snorkel gear for the week. Outlets like Snorkel Bob’s in Maui will rent snorkel gear by the week for about the same that some resorts charge for a single day.
9. Book excursions last minute for a deep discount. This isn’t the way to plan your whole trip because popular attractions sell out way in advance but a same day booking for an unsold helicopter flight may be available at ½ price.
10. Work with a honeymoon travel specialist and work with a Hawaii specialist. Our goal is to help you find the best honeymoon for the lowest price possible. When we put your wish list and our destination knowledge together you may be surprised by how far your honeymoon budget can go! Call or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Get Personalized help from a travel expert at no extra cost!”
1 (425) 821-4100
1 (800) 321-7907