Planning to visit the country of England or Scotland? Unfortunately that’s impossible, at least not technically and not if you are a purist! That’s because neither England or Scotland is a country, they are part of the country called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island. And if that aint confusing enough, the UK is currently part of the EU but won’t be for long and money, or currency, is a whole ‘nother thing.
So for travelers who wish to be in the know, the map above should be helpful and here’s the list in order of smaller to larger geographic entities –
- England – A division of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. in the southern part of the island of Great Britain.
- Great Britain – Great Britain is an island that consists of three somewhat autonomous regions that include England, Scotland, and Wales. It is located east of Ireland and northwest of France in the Atlantic Ocean.
- The United Kingdom – The United Kingdom is a country that includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Its official name is “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.” England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are often mistaken as names of countries, but they are only a part of the United Kingdom.
- The British Isles – The British Isles is another term altogether and encompasses Great Britain, the island of Ireland, and several other smaller islands, such as the Isle of Man. The Isle of Man is not a part of the United Kingdom or the European Union, even though its Lord is the Monarch of the United Kingdom.
- The European Union or EU – is a politico–economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe
Southern Ireland or more technically correct “The Republic of Ireland” uses the Euro. The UK which we know includes Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales uses the pound sterling.
And now for the really important part. I’ll be exploring the British Isles soon so watch for my posts or follow me on www.facebook.com/totemtravel for more fun and fotos!